Calendula Garden Salve DIY
Oh my…if you have read through my blog, you know I LOVE Calendula! This gorgeous flower is so easy to grow and not only looks beautiful in your garden but is awesome for DIY for body, teas, and cooking. The horses adore it! Calendula is one medicinal herb you will want to know more about.
To make this salve the infused oil takes three days to prep. Once it’s made it lasts for 2 years or more and you can make multiple salves and balms with it.
New Butter To Try
I discovered a wonderful salve recipe and wanted to share. What makes this salve wonderful is the mango butter. Instead of using shea butter, I decided to substitute shea for this as well as add these other ingredients I think you will find just as wonderful! This salve is just plain ol’ filled with substitutions…my middle name in cooking too! But ahhhh so good!
3 tbsp Calendula herbal infused oil (see recipe at bottom takes three days to infuse)
2 tbsp mango butter (substitute for shea butter)
1 tbsp + 1 tsp Carnauba wax (substitute for bees wax, more shinny look, takes longer to melt)
1 tbsp Kokum butter (substitute for cocoa butter…it is a flaky looking butter not to be mean)
¼ tsp Vit E. oil
9 drops Lavender essential oil
9 drops Roman Chamomile essential oil
1) In double boiler slowely melt down the Calendula oil, butters, and wax in the jar you will be storing it in.
2) Do not rush this or have high heat or it may scald oils. Stir with a wooden stick or tool until wax is melted.
3) Once ingredients are fully melted, remove from heat and place on cooling pad. Wait 5 minutes or so and stir in Vit.E and essential oils.
4) Let rest in room temperatur before using. It will get hard pretty quick. Don’t put lid on jar until fully cooled.
This should last about a year or 2.
How to make your infused oil
What you need: ( click on Bulk Herb Store to get these herbs, flowers)
3/4 cup Calendula Flowers
1/4 cup Rose Hips
1/4 cup Comfrey
1/4 cup Chamomile Flowers
1/4 cup Arnica
Coconut oil (0r any carrier oil of your choice)
How to make:
1. Fill glass jar 1/3 full of herbal mix and cover with coconut oil. Screw on lid and place jar on top of a dishtowel in a crock pot or Dutch oven.( we love cast iron)
2. Fill the crock pot with water (but not above the year’s lid) and turn on warm for three days or low simmer if using a stove.
3. Check the water level every day to make sure the water hasn’t evaporated and fill as needed. NVER pour cold water over a hot glass jar.
4. After 3 days, strain off herbs from the oil with cheese cloth( while warm) or strainer. Add you Vit. E
Label and keep in a dark place.
** All purchases through the affiliate links help support what we do on our ranch ministry! Thank you! God is good!
May the Lord bless you as you prepare recipes to keep you and your family healthy! Please let me know if you made some and how you liked it!
Keeping it natural as we can around the ranch!
Love deeper, talk sweeter,