I know…it is a bit unhealthy
We had a wonderful restaurant a few years back called Sibley Station. It was tucked in the heart of a small town by us, Pequot Lakes, Minnesota. The one thing they were known for was their Hungarian mushroom soup.
Simply divine! It is the best word I can sum up! The creamy rich flavor of this soup will leave your pallet dancing! The restaurant put the soup in a sourdough bowl which I really could never finish, but for sure you want to have with your soup on the side. At least a slice or two.
It has 2 cups of cream which makes for the richness and yes not the best for you. BUT…worth every bite! When I serve this I will only serve about a 1/2 cup because of the richness. Along with the bread, it does make a hardy meal. I think you will love it too!
- 1 quart of beef or chicken stock
- 8 tbsp. butter, divided in half
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh garlic (about 4 cloves)
- 1/8 tsp salt (can add more to taste but begin here)
- 3 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 tbsp dill weed
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups heavy cream (you can use half and half too)
- 3 tbsp. sour cream
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Bragg Liquid Aminos (natural soy sauce non-GMO product)
- I use a beef base or chicken base and a quart of water. Add the base. I use 4 tsp. I also added 2 tsp of Worchestershire sauce. Stir until dissolved and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, a Dutch oven is awesome, saute onion, garlic, and salt in four tablespoons of butter until onion is tender and shiny.
- Stir in mushrooms, dillweed, and paprika, and white pepper.
- Add half of the beef stock. Cover and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt the remaining four tablespoons of butter over low heat. Whisk in flour slowly adding little at a time. Cook until smooth, stirring constantly. Don’t let it get clumpy. If so, start adding cream little at a time. Keep stirring and add remaining cream stir for 8-10 minutes.
- Add cream mixture to your soup slowly and stirring continually. Add your remaining stock.
- Stir in sour cream, lemon juice, and Liquid Aminos. Heat through about 15 minutes on simmer. Makes 8 cups
- ENJOY with your favorite bread…sourdough is awesome!
Love deeper, talk sweeter and enjoy with a loved one!