Burr… it’s cold -31 this morning
I do love a nice crisp winter air, but not this crisp. Doing chores this morning I thought my nose would fall off!
What did I do to change my attitude and feel warm? Asked Alexa to play Caribbean music and…
Make a dinner full of Caribbean flavor! Appetizer, soup, salad, and the main dish. Oh and dessert of course! I even made a fun NA drink.
Appetizer…Orange Shrimp Mojo
A bright avocado salsa and the citrusy rum-kissed glaze make this appetizer spark the mouth watering for more! Use only fresh herbs and spices. Links below. It really makes a difference!
- 1/2 tbsp. cumin seeds
- 1/2 tbsp whole peppercorns
- 1 tbsp. grated orange or tangerine peel
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh oregano
- 1/2 lb. peeled and deveined jumbo shrimp, uncooked
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/2cups orange juice
- 2 tbsp rum or chicken broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large orange, peeled, sectioned and chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup cubed avocado
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 tsp chopped seeded jalapeno pepper, optional but good
- 1 fresh Lime
- In a small dry skillet over medium heat toast cumin seeds and peppercorns until aromatic. 1-2 minutes. Remove from skillet. Crush seeds using a spice grinder (great gift idea by the way) or mortar and pestle
- In a small bowl, combine the orange peel, oregano, salt, and crushed cumin and peppercorns. Sprinkle 1 tbsp spice mixture over shrimp.
- In a large skillet, cook shrimp in oil over medium-high heat. 1 minute, turn shrimp. Add the orange juice, rum, garlic, and 1 tbsp. spice mixture. Cook and stir until shrimp turn pink, 1-2 minutes longer, remove shrimp squeeze 1/2 of the lime juice over top and keep warm. ( when in a pinch I will use my Lime essential oil but fresh is best for this dish) If you do purchase the essential oil, you can only order one and get FREE shipping in the USA! Cool huh?
- Bring liquid in skillet to a boil. Cook until reduced to 2/3 cup, about 35 minutes. Meanwhile, for salsa combine the orange, onion, avocado 1/4 cup cilantro, jalapeno, and remaining spice mixture in a small bowl. Stir shrimp and remaining cilantro into the sauce, heat through. Serve with salsa.
Serve with Fresh Ginger Mojo
This is an incredible drink and so fresh but most importantly good for you! YES, a fun drink that is refreshing and good for you…don’t forget the lime!
Muddle fresh squeezed lime juice and sugar along with dried or fresh mint. On ice pour ginger beer into a glass and stir in your muddled mixture. Garnish with mint. SOO refreshing! Put on the Beach Boys and start prepping for dinner!
This grilled chicken gets a lovely pop of color and spice from the lime butter… OOO you will love this dish! One of the reasons I love Caribbean night during cold stretches it gives us a warm time together cooking. The challenge to this dish is grilling out on our deck in the minus 30 below but SO worth it! You can do this on a grill pan (link below) too, which in this weather may be the better idea!
Ingredients: ( I like fresh herbs and spices. Store-bought you never know how long they sit on those shelves PLUS this company has such fun flavors so get creative with your dishes!)
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp brown sugar ( I use molasses and regular organic sugar instead)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cacao
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
4 bone-in chicken breast halves
Cilantro Lime Butter
1/4 cup butter, melted
minced fresh cilantro (I like a lot so 1/2 cup )
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1 tbsp lime juice
1 pepper, jalapeno, or serrano, Fresh
pepper to taste
1. In a small bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients. Brush over chicken. 2.Place chicken skin side down on grill rack. grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 15 minutes. Grill until a thermometer reads 165 degrees, 20-25 minutes longer. Grill pan we use for indoor cooking. 3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the butter ingredients. drizzle over the chicken before serving.
TIP: if you have leftover, shred the chicken and save for tacos or other dishes. I freeze mine and save for later nights when I need a quick meal.
Now for the finale’
Yep, I love my desserts! What can I say! SO refreshing perfect in tying all the flavors of your pallet together!
Give your own twist to make your winter meal a delightful time together! There is nothing like cooking together and enjoying a wonderful meal you have made! Stay WARM!!!
Love deeper, talk sweeter,