I love root beer but I tell ya what…Sasparilla is a whole new way of enjoying the ol’ fashion west and the authentic taste! Putting together fresh herbs to make this wonderful beverage fits into any party you are planning. Adding the good ol’ homemade ice cream to make the favorite root beer float….well there ya have it…PURE YUMMINESS!
Yes, there are some health risks out there due to the sassafras but like anything eating or drinking too much ill causes issues, so check with your doctor. AND here is a wonderful LINK for more helpful info on this wonderful herb and drink!
Now onto the recipe that will cause your taste buds to burst and impress your whole family you made it homemade!
- 1/4 cup sassafras root bark
- 1 tbsp. birch bark
- 2 tbsp dandelion root
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, chopped or dried
- 1 tbsp. hop flowers
- 3 tbsp. sarsaparilla root
- 1 tbsp. licorice root
- 1 tbsp. juniper berries
- 1 vanilla bean split and scraped, or 2 tbsp. pure vanilla
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup of organic sugar
- 1/2 cup ginger bug
- 10 cups of filtered water
- Bring 10 cups of water to a boil.
- Stir in sassafras bark, sarsaparilla root, birch bark, ginger, hop flowers, juniper, cinnamon stick, and licorice.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour the mixture into a large bowl through cheesecloth or strainer. Make sure to squeeze as much of the herbs as possible getting all the juice through.
- Stir sugar into the pure liquid making sure it is dissolved. Your mixture should be still very hot so the sugar will dissolve easily.
- Allow cooling to room temperature.
- Pour in your ginger bug and stir.
- Now you’re ready to bottle. Using a funnel, pour the mixture into individual flip-top bottles and seal. Leave at least one-inch headspace. You can also use these bottles.
- Leave in room temperature on your counter for 3-5 days, “burping” them each daily to release the pressure.
- Place in your refrigerator for up to 6 days. Remember, this is fresh stuff so you want to drink it up!
Vanilla beans are super expensive right now, so I make my own vanilla using 2 beans opened up in a mason jar, and fill with whiskey. Shake as often as you remember and keep for 4 weeks before use. That is MY pure vanilla. If you can swing the bean, get the cheaper 3 pack.
If your ginger bug is giving enough fizz, you can add club soda to your drink to give it that root beer pop!
Enjoy! It is worth the work! Simple really!!!!! You will knock the socks off your guests and or family!!!
Love deeper, talk sweeter,