What in the World!
Yep…just what I thought…what is a ginger bug? I love ginger. I love what it does for all the medicinal needs of our bodies. So when I saw you make a fermented bug to add to syrups or other recipes like making your own ginger beer, I was all in!
What is Ginger Beer?
This cool and delicious soft drink which is filled with health benefits. Many think because it has “beer” attached to the name it contains a lot of alcohol. Of course, like any fermented homemade drink the longer it sits, the more the alcohol content. But for most who make it including my recipe, it is less than .02%. It is not so much fermentation in the actual drink as it carbonated as it sits. A lot like a Kombucha is really good for you and can be a beverage for any age.
What are the health benefits?
- relaxes you and your mood
- smell enhances your mood as you sip away
- relieve pain and mental fatigue
- helps with depression
- has anti0inflammatory properties to help with internal inflammation
- anti-bacterial properties help with mucus and upper respiratory and coughing
- anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties help to boost the immune system
- MY FAVORITE…natural probiotic as in the formation it improves digestion, maintain the microbial flora of the gut and fights and fights gut bacterial.
Are you SOLD YET?
I was! I love this concept and easy to do. Yes, it takes time, but what an awesome drink to have in your refrigerator for any event or daily beverage. YES, it contains sugar. But much of it is fermented out during the process. It is AWESOME!!!
Next step…make your ginger bug than you will be ready for the ginger beer recipe!
How to make your bug!
2-3 Tablespoons of grated ginger root
1/2 cup of organic sugar
2 cups filtered water
- Grated or cut up a ginger root. I like to have it grated to better get the flavor out.
- Fill a quart size mason jar with 2 cups of water
- Add sugar and ginger to water and shake it up.
- For the next 3-5 days keep adding 1 tbsp. of ginger and 1 tbsp. of sugar…shake up.
- I do keep a lid on the jar but you can just put a coffee filter on it and use mason jar canning ring to hold into place.
- Make sure to add each day and still with a metal spoon or shake.
- When you see it FIZZ at the top you know it is working!
Please let me know if you tried this and the ginger beer…I think you will like it.