Homemade Ginger Beer
I am sure you will enjoy every sip of this amazing beverage! Remember…it isn’t a BEER so it can be a blessing for any age!
Just a note…this is done in liters and grams to be more accurate with your measurements. I suggest a nice scale especially if you do a lot of cooking with teas, herbs and so on. It really helps with knowing how much to take out or add for flavor. Also, I really encourage you to purchase fresh ingredients. The spices in your local grocery store sit for many months. This way you can not only get fresh but smaller quantities and FREE shipping!
4 liters of filtered water
400 grams of ginger root (a bit spicy go less for not such a bite)
500 grams sugar
30 black peppercorns, ( a little spicy so if you want…go less)
12 allspice , whole
200 ML ginger bug
- Put ginger roots into a food processor and blend a few seconds. Put a little water in to blend well.
- Put water into a big pot and pour ginger root along with spices into the pot.
- Bring to a boil, turn down the heat, add sugar, and simmer for 30 minutes. During this process taste to see if you want to add any more of the spices. I should of put fewer peppercorns in as you can always add. Ours has a bite!
- Turn off heat and leave overnight to steep in all the flavors.
- The next morning, strain spices out into a seave, strainer, or cheesecloth. Push down on spices to get every bit!
- Add your ginger bug, stir, and bottle with bottles with swing caps.
- Let sit for a day opening the swing tops once or twice to release pressure. The longer you let sit the more alcohol content will increase. Here is a breakdown.
- 1 day: .02 %
- 2 days 1 %
- 3-4 days 1.5%
Love deeper, sip healthier, and talk sweeter,