The temps are dropping really fast around this Minnesota state! We hit 1 above this morning and I was feeling a cold coming on. Drained from a weekend getaway with our son and being in wind and snow set me up for getting sick. PLUS, late nights and hotels. I needed to find something to make for not only myself but to keep in our freezer for a quick meal. When you’re not feeling well, it sure helps to have something you can heat up quickly and provides wonderful nutrients to fight the flu. The turmeric and black pepper help keep down inflammation and keep your body toasty as turmeric is a warming herb. The garlic and ginger help fight off the presence of bacterial or viral infections.
Found A Winner
I think you will find this soup tasty. Just look at the ingredients and you will see for yourself it is FULL of herbs and spices, plus veggies to help you feel better. Even if you’re not sick, it’s a good one to keep on hand. Let me know what you think or if you added something to improve it. Love it when we can help one another improve a recipe! Enjoy!
Ingredients: Spices I get from Starwest * (off to the right) so I always have FRESH herbs and spices. In a store, you never know how long they have been on the shelf. This goes for herbs too when I can’t grow them myself. If you have any herbs from your garden this will be an added benefit.
- 3-4 scallions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- ginger to taste (I put in 1/2 tsp.)
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. fresh black pepper
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp. sage
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp basil (I added an additional sprinkle on top when serving)
- 4 peeled, diced potatoes
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 zucchini, diced
- sea salt to taste
- The first 3 ingredients put into your Dutch oven with about a tablespoon of olive oil. Let them sauté until a nice aroma.
- Add carrots, zucchini, turmeric, black pepper, rosemary, sage, thyme basil, and salt.
- Bring to a boil
- Add potatoes, cover and let boil for 30 minutes.
- Add kale and simmer for additional 10 minutes
- You can add cooked hamburger or chicken. My man loves his meat!
- He also loves dumplings, which of course he added…what a guy!
Hope you try it…I think you will find this an awesome recipe anytime of the year!
Love deeper, talk sweeter, and keep it natural when you can,