Flowers and Fruit Cupcakes?
Yep, I thought we were little nuts to try our hand and adding some weird ingredients to our cupcakes, but…it’s Easter and we wanted to have some fun doing things a little different.
Lavender is our daughter’s favorite herb and essential oil. Even her dog loves it. Plus she is wacko for cupcakes. It must be the police officer in her, but really her hand at cupcake making is adorable so it all made sense for her to try this out.
Lemons is something I have been adding to most of my sweet type recipes only because I love the freshness and pop of flavor. Cookies, pancakes, and cakes in general lemons are the secret ingredient for me. So I encouraged Kinzey to put a lemon her batter. I think you will find these little gems a special treat as well! ENJOY!!! We did!
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tarter
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 4 lemons, squeezed and zested
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp.
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp. fresh vanilla (I make my own, recipe below)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup squeezed lemon juice (save the remainder for lemonade)
- FOR THE LAVENDER FROSTING
- 3/4 cup of unsalted butter, room temp
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup softened cream cheese
- 1 tsp. lavender herb, or 1 drop of lavender essential oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. of milk (only if needed)
- 1 drop of purple food coloring
- some lavender herb for garnish
- NOTE: We had to add an additional tsp. of lavender to get more taste. Test your frosting to see if it is your desired taste.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Whisk the first 4 ingredients in a small bowl.
- squeeze lemons and set aside as well as zest from each lemon
- In your electric mixer, beat the butter until creamy. Add sugar and beat until creamy. Scrap sides and increase speed for 2-3 minutes.
- Beat in eggs and egg whites then add vanilla and half of lemon zest.
- Slowly add half of dry ingredients mix well until combined.
- Add milk and lemon juice.
- Add remaining dry ingredients and beat well.
- With an ice cream scooper scoop the batter into liners filling 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 16-18 minutes until the tops are set.
- Let cool completely.
- FOR THE FROSTING:
- Add butter to your bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix until creamy.
- With the mixer at low speed slowly add the powdered sugar and lavender. Increase the speed of scraping the sides of the bowl.
- Beat until fluffy. Add vanilla.
- If the frosting is too thick add your milk. If too runny add more powdered sugar only a teaspoon at a time. When it is right for you to add your food coloring and mix. Frost your cupcakes and sprinkle on some lavender love for a garnish!
Make your own vanilla extract
I really steer away from extracts as you can take any of the flavors and make your own. All you need with the vanilla is 2 vanilla beans in a pint-size mason jar and fill it up with brandy. I use the cheap kind. Let is soak up and shake often for 4-6 weeks. It is to die for!
Let us know what you think and if you added any new flavors!
Love deeper, talk sweeter,