Top 10 Essential Oil Blends For Your Ranch/Farm
Select and Dilute
Using essential oils around our ranch is almost an everyday thing. At least once a week the horses will need something weather fly spray, tick spray, hair grooming and of course in the ministry oils are often incorporated somehow. But one thing remains…I will always add the carrier oil. Many will say it isn’t needed for horses and or they will lose the benefits from not getting the full non-diluted blend, but not being a professional I don’t want to take any risks.
Why Essential Oils?
Essential oils are the natural way to help with human and animal health. Just look at scripture and see essential oils were what our first ancestors used for healing. I also am intrigued by the Native American culture and how they use herbs and extract the plants into oils. It is just fascinating and more importantly in my life, it often works! Essential oils repair, oxygenate and act as defenders of pests, germs, and infections. Essential oils are wonderful for not only our physical health but our mental and emotional health. How awesome is that?
My Favorite DIY Blends
1. Fly Spray
- 2 oz. olive oil, or neem oil
- 1 cup white vinegar
- Epsom salt water mixture, 1 cup of Epsom salt to one gallon of water, mix
- 2 tsp. garlic powder (my horses love this stuff on their nummies)
Combine the above and place into a one to four oz spray bottle.
Infused garlic water can be used instead of the powder by simply placing one head of garlic cloves into a one-liter glass bottle filled with distilled water and let sit for several days. Take the olive oil out of the recipe.
2. Tick Spray
- 1 cup distilled water
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of favorite carrier oil (Almond is mine)
- 4 drops each of Eucalyptus, Peppermint, and Citronella
- 3 drops each of Cedarwood, Lemongrass, and Thyme
Combine all ingredients into a spray bottle, label, and spray on legs and underbelly, and ears. Every 4 hours if you are out all day.
TIP FOR DOGS: I put oils on my dog’s inside collar every day. Check to see if your dog likes the oil first.
3. Wound Salve
Combine and place on the wound for the healing process. You can vet wrap too if you like.
4. Colic Rub
First call you vet to make sure he/she is in the loop your horse is colic. This is for while you wait…
Rub on the horse’s belly area and inhale as well by holding your hands full of the oils, at the horse’s nostrils. I mix this in a 15ml bottle and label. PRAY! Always helps!
5. Calming Blend (place blend in its own 15 ml bottle, label 6 drops of each oil)
- Lavender, Frankincense, Cedarwood, Roman Chamomile, Vetiver, Jasmine (this is a blend which has a carrier oil in it and, the other Jasmine is more expensive because it has no carrier oil)
Mix all essential oils top off the bottle with a carrier oil. Shake before using and place on the neck and back of the horse. Instead of carrier oil, you can put essential oils into a spray bottle substituting for water.
6. Proud Flesh Prevention
In spray bottle, combine above and spray on horses legs at least 2x’s a day
7. After-Bit Spray
Place in spray bottle and shake well. Spray on bites as often as needed. I have sprayed on vet wrap for larger bites if able.
8. Grooming and Detangles Spray
- 2 tbsp. coconut carrier oil
- 2 tbsp. vegetable glycerin
- 1 tsp. witch hazel
- 1/2 cup distilled water
- 6 drops each of ylang ylang, Rosemary, Palmarosa, and Blend of Sandlewood (this is an expensive oil so I put the link to the blend)
Add all above to spray bottle and spritz onto mane, tail, and body before grooming.
9. Hoof Conditioner (for abscess, check here)
Mix well and rub onto hoof
10. Muscle Rub
- Jojoba oil
- Almond oil
- 5 drops each of Wintergreen, Peppermint, Oregano, Eucalyptus, Vetiver, Thyme, and Lemongrass
Mix into a 15 ml bottle using essential oils first then top off with Grapeseed and almond carrier oils. Shake well and massage onto the horse.
Why Rocky Mountain?
I love this company because for one they are reasonable in price not being an MLM they can work directly to us the consumer. Their shipping is SOOO cheap, just a $25 order will get you FREE shipping! They have a key code for every oil so you can assure the quality for the one you have as each bottle is specifically coded. You can go directly to their site and read the SAAFE Promise! Their shipping is quick, their packaging is awesome, and protecting every oil that comes knocking at your door! You will love them for sure.
Enjoy using essential oils saving you a TON of money in all the junk on the market and giving your 4 legged friends the natural way of healing!
God’s blessings to you,
Love deeper, talk sweeter,